Sing Song

I had another "aha" moment today that made me think and smile.  I was working with a student who was struggling with decoding words and sounding them out.  Suddenly, I began singing the words, or better put, enunciating words and syllables in a sing-songy voice.  The student looked at me and giggled.  But I took notice that the next time she came across the same word in a reading passage, she said it correctly, then repeated the word in the same sing-songy voice.  I tried my best not to smile or make too big of a deal, but on the inside I was.  The reason this specific instance caught my attention so much is because my 3 year old daughter also says everything in song!  She sings about brushing her teeth, eating her dinner, princesses, etc. Most likely, I sang that word and other words with my student out of mere habit, but it happened to help her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change

Hello? Is anyone there?

A "Normal" Morning